GP Practice GP Practice GP Practice


Updated on 17th June 2013 at 11:06 am


Complaints Procedure

The practice has a policy for dealing with complaints and our system meets the national criteria.

Our aim is to give you the highest possible standards of care and service and we try to deal swiftly with any problems that may occur.

The practice Complaints Manager is: Debbie Hamilton – Business Manager

Making a Complaint

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

Within 12 months of the incident,

Or within 12 months of you discovering that you giving as much detail as you can.

If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section in this leaflet.

We are able to provide you with a separate complaints form to register your complaint and this includes a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else. Please ask at reception   for   this.   You   can   provide   this   in your own format providing this covers all the necessary aspects.

Send your written complaint to: Debbie Hamilton (Business Manager) at the surgery address or via email to [email protected]

What we do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within 10 working days, and aim to have looked into the matter within 25 working days. You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

Raisig a Complaint on Behalf of Someone Else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it.

Please ask at reception for the Complaints Form which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.

We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.

Referring your complaint to NHS England

We would hope to resolve your complaint within the practice but you have the option to complain to the practice or NHS England

NHS England is the commissioner of primary care services (such as GP and dental practices), and if you prefer, you can send your complaint about these services to NHS England at the address below.

However if a complaint is made to the practice and not resolved satisfactorily, the procedure does not allow the complaint to be referred to NHS England for review

NHS England PO Box 16738

Redditch B97 9PT

Tel: 0300 311 2233

Email; [email protected]

If you are Dissatisfied with the Outcome

You have the right to approach the Ombudsman. The contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman Millbank Tower

Millbank London SW1P 4QP

Tel: 0345 0154033